I have been working feverishly on regaining my sewing skills and over the course of an entire year I have, I think, regained much of what I need to get my Etsy store going. I have made simple curtains, a dust ruffle, and a hand tied quilt for the guest room… to which I just put the binding on this past week.
This is the first full-sized quilt I have ever made. I totally cheated and hand tied it to a wonderfully warm and fuzzy blanket. I made the binding from leftover blocks I sewed together and stripped. I owe deepest apologies to my friends Tim and Pam for not having the binding on by the time they arrived… I could hardly stand the fuzz as I worked, I simply can’t imagine sleeping with it. Sorry!
I made my first apron, using my own pattern. It is machine sewn with a hand quilted pocket and embroidery to dress it up. It is very fifties in style, but the embroidery is a thirties effect.
No, it is not uneven, I hung it crooked! I will have to be more careful when I’m photographing my items for sale…
For Bob I made two pairs of pajama bottoms from flannel I found at Sir’s in Fayetteville, TN. The deal with Sir’s is this… if you find it and you like it grab what you need, plus a little extra for later, or it will simply have vanished the next time you go back.
Such was the case here. Not wanting to wear Hello Kitty, or anything juvenile or pink, we bought what was left of the blue plaid and I had to get creative with the length. Using the selvages I cut a cuff, and applied it with a bit of black piping I made. If there had been enough material I would have been able to match the plaids and put the cuff on the bias. But then if that were the case I wouldn’t have had to add the cuffs now would I? 😉 He is comfortable and warm so that’s what counts, yes?
And now we come to the portion of today’s post that I am totally in love with… these newly quilted half-square triangles that I made last week. I am using scrappy looking finds from, you guessed it, Sir’s.
I was so exited to get these completed, and I really think my work was good, so imagine how disappointed I was when I put the 12 and 1/2 square rule down on top only to find that they were a bit smallish. My only explanation for it is that my 1/4 inch quilting foot is off. So, I will forge ahead and remember to not work so tightly along the foot’s edge.
In the meantime, I am debating whether or not to make pillows or incorporate these into an apron. What do you think? Other ideas?
I almost forgot! I made myself a clock too! Many years ago my friend Andrea was hosting some exchange students from Japan. I guess in Japan it is simply unacceptable to go visiting with empty hands. Hence I was the recipient of a lovely silk kerchief. I am allergic to silk… so the kerchief sat in a my drawer for almost 20 years. A travesty I say! So, I carefully quilted it on the machine with lovely metallic gold thread, and set it into an embroidery hoop. I then backed the piece with heavy cardboard and inserted clock works into its face. I have seen many of these on the different quilting sites, but none done in lovely whole cloth silk!
Now I can enjoy my lovely gift and know what time it is as well.
OK, BACK TO WORK!