Scrap Happy

I haven’t been sewing, but here is something I made and hadn’t previously posted for my 1857 quilt.  I used material from the second quilt I ever made for the horn of plenty, and little bits of scraps for the oranges and apples.


I am now so far behind on this quilt’s work that I think I will certainly not finish by years end.  Ah well, I will get it done because needle turned applique is my favorite form of quilting and I need a new summer quilt for our bed.  Who knows?  I may even have it done in time for next summer!

Other scrap happy contributors this month are:

Usually has a scrappy post:

Kate at   (in English only)

Gun at (in Swedish and English)

Titti at (in Swedish only)

Heléne at (in Swedish only)

Sometimes has a scrappy post:

Eva at (in Swedish only)

Sue at (in English only)

Nanette at (in English only)

Lynn at (in English only)

Norma at (in English only)

Birthe: (in Norwegian only)

Turid: (in English and Norwegian)

Cathy: (in English only)

Jodie Zollinger: (in English only)

Debbierose: (in English only)

Claire: (in English only)

Susan: (in English only)

Jill: (in English only)


My Scrappiness

Posted for April 15th, 2016

As I have mentioned before I began my quilting adventure in 2011 by crafting a quilt for a new friend I met when visiting Jayme from Tales of the Coop Keeper.  At that time I had the desire to quilt, but no knowledge of the plotting skills or the math involved to pull it off…

Ergo, after making a “watermelon” quilt

watermelon quilt

I had tons of red and white squares and triangles to spare and they have been stored in a Ziploc bag, at the bottom of my scrap drawer, till now…

I have joined up with Kate Chiconi  at Tall Tales From Chiconia in ScrapHappy.   This is a creative group of like-minded people who want to use it all up and have fun making their scraps disappear.  Then we all share on the 15th of the month.  Links to all participants will be listed on Kate’s blog site!  Please follow the link above to see what the other more experienced quilters have come up with.

After much experimentation, and cutting down I am left with a pair of ten inch blocks.  A bit of blue border has given them a decidedly patriotic flair.


Windmill block to the left and Hourglass blocks to the right.

I haven’t finished them yet, because  I can’t decide if I want a table runner or pillows!  If a table runner is in their future I will have to come up with a third block to tie them all together.

This process of laying out and working with my scraps has reminded me of the Inuit carver who studies a bone or wood specimen to see what is living inside, then begins carving to release the spirit and image within.  No spirits in my work, but this time around my *points are coming along nicely. 🙂

Practice, practice, practice!


NOTEPoints refers to the area in the quilt block where all the corners meet up.  Getting them to get along is very exciting for a budding quilter.  Well, actually, I think it may be an exciting moment for any quilter!  Those little corners can be rather pesky.

The next four blocks for the 1857

My monthly 1857 wedding quilt post is here!  I wanted you to see where I am in this needle turned applique adventure.

There are two more blocks from the original that are supposed to be done and they involve building and Mason’s tools, but I am making a couple to my own liking that represent me and my endeavors too.  There is a method to my madness, because you see, I want this quilt to fit our queen sized bed when I am done with all this painstaking applique!   So the tools will be done later throughout the year. 😉

My personal blocks as if you couldn’t guess are the goose, which is Polly, and a representative chicken.  These will soon have some outlining added to them for more definition.


That red number with the bazillion red diamonds was a challenge.  I almost didn’t finish it, but then I hitched up my big girl panties and took charge of it!  Now I am proud to say, “I did it!”😀

I think a monthly summary of my progress is probably prudent, don’t you?   Well, unless I do something truly thrilling and spectacular and then I will not hold back, OK?


The 1857 Quilt: the first six!

This is a slap dash post, but I have to get it up now or I’ll just let it ride for another six blocks.

The following are my attempts at needle turned applique.  I have done it before, but never for such a large project as this!  This is 64 blocks from an antique wedding quilt to be dished out each month a few at a time.  I am playing catch up as I only started last month… that meant that I was already 4 blocks in the hole!  I have one left for February, and then the three for this month to do.  I will get there!

first-sixI must admit, I had a real hate thing going on the upper right flower block.  It was far more complicated than it looks to do that orange part of the blossom.   It was supposed to be satin stitched and I just couldn’t pull it off!   In the end, I cheated and used a blanket stitch on my sewing machine to finish the edge, cut it with a selvage, then turned it under and made a bazillion little stitches to hold it down.  In spite of that,

I am learning tons, having fun, and getting better block by block.

Follow the link on the right to be taken to Sentimental Stitches for a bit of history and pictures of the original old quilt.